23 June 2011

Loving the Weather

Hi everyone!  Well, the weather continues to keep me guessing and today it pulled a fast one on me.  I opted to hit the gym instead of the trail and low-and-behold, we didn't get the rain that the skies seemed to threaten us with through the afternoon/evening.  It's all good, though.  I still have to keep some upper body strength and after experiencing last years race, I know hamstring, hip-flexor, and core strength are critical.  I had no idea going into last years race that I would spend time off the bike, pushing it up steep grades.  But imagine being in a huge pack of riders starting a climb and someone up front dismounts, causing a chain reaction.  Before you know it, we're all pushing our bike up the climb section.  Add stiff cycling shoes to the mix and wow, what a hamstring, calf, and hip-flexor burn!  So, as part of my gym work-out, I spend 30-45 minutes running a 5.5 to 7.0 pace at an incline of 15.0 on the treadmill.  I have no idea how all of that translates to the real-world but jeepers, it sure does hurt.
So, instead of talking about tonights ride, how about I tell you about my friend, Gary Wilmarth.  A bunch of years ago I moved to Chatham and wanted to help with the wrestling program since that is what I enjoyed and as a Dad, well, you know how we always sort of steer our kids towards our own passion.  So, I joined the coaching team and within a year or so, was fully engaged.  Initially, I didn't venture too much into the HS practice as I was the new guy but I'm not sure there were many HS meets that we missed as spectators.  Over time I became more a part of the entire program and more a part of the wrestling family.  And there is Gary, a family member and supporter.  Wow, what a incredible person.  A wealth of knowledge in wrestling but most impressive is his most spectacular means of communicating with young teenagers.  Those that have or are coaching know what I mean when I say that sometimes we are challenged with communicating with our young athlete.  But Gary has always made it look so easy.
I observe and learn from Gary over the years and through my ventures coaching the Kids Club as well as on the mat as an IHSA Official, Gary is always there to lean on, learn from, and simply have comfort in knowing that he will always find the positive to whatever the experience.
And the day comes to learn of Kailey's challenge.  This thing called leukemia.  With two kids of my own, I couldn't imagine what it woud be like.  But there is Gary...finding the positive in challenge, looking ahead, and knowing that there is a greater purpose for everything.  Gary has inspired me for many years and through many ways.  And most recently, when I found friendship and a place within the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, I have to give great credit to Gary for helping me see from a better perspective.
So here I am, looking forward to this little thing called the LT 100 Mountain Bike Race, with huge expecatations to raise awareness and gain support to the Kailey Wilmarth Foundation.  And I am only believing that what I am doing is just a rung in the ladder towards greater things to come of the Kailey's Krew efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment