08 August 2011

Last "Big" Ride

Holy cow!  Woke up this morning with the temps in the "cold range".  Had some breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, and a banana), prep'd the bike (well, Alec took care of that part) and then headed out to ride the Vail to Copper Mountain route, and back.  Had a great ride of 45 miles round-trip. Had a couple great experiences during the ride to share with everyone. 
On the way to Copper Mountain and near the Vail Pass, I came across 2 riders who appeared to be helping a 3rd rider.  I stopped to see if they needed assistance.  And as bad as I am with remembering names, I do apologize to them.  So, the gentleman who seemed to be getting attention by the other 2 cyclists (okay, the lady's name was "Kat", I believe...maybe the rest will come to me as I write this) appeared a bit uncertain and having some discomfort.  Turns out he was having some dehydration issues and even some light-headedness. Water levels were a bit low for the 3 of them and I assumed they may not have had any sort of supplement to help.  So, I filled his water bottle from mine and added some "The Right Stuff" to assist with easing the cramps and help him get back to being able to finish his ride.  When he asked if he could give me anything for the help, I simply asked him to recover and enjoy his ride.  After helping out, I headed on my way and can only hope they made it fine as they were nowhere to be seen on my return trip from Copper Mountain.  My stop to assist made me feel pretty darn good and I can only say it was simply the Christian thing to do.

With only 12 miles or so left on my ride, I stopped at a familiar location to ask a couple riders to take my picture.  Same location I had a picture taken this time last year.  Talk about a small world...the two ladies were both from Illinois, currently living in the Chicago Suburbs.  Isn't that just crazy?  We shared a few stories and then we were on our separate ways.  Thanks for taking my picture for me, Ladies!
After getting back from my ride (over 3 hours in the saddle), I joined up with the family and we went for a walk around Vail Village, stopping in and out of shops.  Then we made it back to the condo to cook on the grill.  Followed up with some time at the pool...I think Julie will be posting some video's on Face Book of the boys being a bit nutty.





And finally, Todd and Cade Trautvetter arrived this evening - Todd drove straight through from Chatham!  Shauna wasn't able to join us on this trip but she spent a very special gift that I will be wearing when I ride...a pendant of St Madonna del Ghisallo, Patron Saint of Cyclists.  Thank you so much Shauna!  So, a big woo-hoo as the "Krew" is beginning to assemble! Tomorrow evening we'll have another six members arrive.
We have new members of the "Challengers" group.  A huge thank you to the following for your challenging pledges...

Brian and Melanie Tober
Doug and Beth Zimmer

I hope all are doing well and until next time, Saddle Up, Dig Deep, and Ride Hard! 

TNT OUT-

No comments:

Post a Comment