15 July 2011

Ouch, It Still "Hurts"

Hey there everyone.  It's been a few days since my last post but I am sure you have enjoyed the suspense and are just all excited and giddy to see that I am back at it...???  No?  Yes?  Well, I hope so!

I had a couple days off due to the crazy weather and then was busy getting packed up for our long weekend trip to The Ozarks.  No excuses for not training but hey, I promise that when I am mounted on my ride, I push myself to make up for any "slacking".

So, we made it to The Ozarks on Thursday afternoon and it's a bit warmer down this way.  But before I get into my chat about the past couple days, I have some more important news to share...

As of yesterday, we gained a new supporter.  Curt Smith Sporting Goods has joined our Krew and in the next few days I will be adding thier logo to our Blog.  You'll be seeing more about them in future postings as well.  Thanks to Mr. Pat Dowling for your support and willingness to help us out.

And next, we want to make our first posting recognizing the "Peleton" of Kailey's Krew.  A huge thank you goes out to you for your donation to Kailey's Krew!  The newest members of the "Peleton" are:

Mark and Lori Beagles
Ken and Jandy Arnold
Craig and Brianne Rutherford
Greg and Jan Andersen
Anne Conwill

In addition to the "Peleton", we have another group that we'll call "The Challenger's".  The following folks have made a pledge, setting a minimum donation with a chance for it to grow based on my performance in the Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race.  Newest members of "The Challenger's" include:

Frank Marcy
Marty Dwyer
Bill & Janet Zimmer

Thank you so much to those that have contributed and those that have pledged.  And please, if you have donated or pledged and I did not recognize you, send me an e-mail so I can add you to my next update.  We're new at this and are doing our best to track everyone so your reminder to us would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again!

So, spending a 4-day weekend in the Ozarks sounds like a great time on the lake, boating, floating, and soaking up the rays, huh?  Yah, not exactly.  We arrived on Thursday and at 5:30 that evening, I was linked up with a group of riders at Oz Cycles on Bagnell Dam Boulevard in Lake Ozark.  Now, before I tell you about the "quick" ride, let me just give warning to the fat-tire riders out there.  When you call a shop and ask about group rides and they say, "Oh sure, you'll be fine" after you ask about whether a mountain bike will be fine with the roadies, well, that should be a warning.  Ha-Ha!

So anyway, what a great group of guys to ride with.  There were only six of us that decided to push the heat and humidity of the evening but none-the-less, a ride was had.  Umm, it was great sucking their dust and hoping I'd find them after each corner but they were great gentlemen as they would stop once in a while to make sure I didn't lose my way.  So, we finished the ride with just over 23 miles but it was like riding a speed-work "fart-lick" as we pushed speeds up to 28 miles per hour...hmmm, been a while since I've heard my knobbies make such a hummmm.  So, if you are ever traveling away from home and call the "local" bike shop to find a ride or riding partner, I hope your experience is as cool as that provided by Oz Cycles...I'll be back guys!  You're awesome and good luck with your racing season!  Everyone else that finds themselves near Lake Ozark must make a stop at Oz Cycles!!!!

Today saw the temps raise a bit more.  By the time I got out on the bike it was sitting right at 100 degrees with little to no wind.  I followed the same sort of "route" as when with the Oz Cycles krew but I stayed over in the Horseshoe Bend area.  Lots of up and down hills, some shade, and only warm winds blowing at any given time.  IT WAS HOT!  I pushed just shy of 27 miles today, went through 3 bottles of fluid, and yah, just felt sweaty-hot the entire ride.  But there was something sort of strange about this ride.  Everyone knows about food cravings, right?  So how about this for a craving while riding...a cold salad with "pea pods" on it.  That was on my mind for much of the ride.  What in the world?  "Pea Pods"?  Anyone have a story to match that one?  So, while at dinner at "Shorty Pants", I asked our waitress if I could get pea pods on my chicken wrap...she thought I was nutty.  And by the way, I didn't get pea pods on my wrap!  Ha-Ha!

So, not your typical idea of what to experience in the Ozarks but there are still a couple days to go and guess what, tomorrow morning has some boat time in the plans...that's right, brought the 20' kayak with us and I'll be on the lake for a couple hours of paddling before I head to Oz Cycles for directions getting me to the "tech trails" for some fun.  I'll post some pix tomorrow for all to enjoy.

And finally, the latest on the "injury"...still sore, still gross scabs and/or fresh skin, and still making it work.  Dr. Taylor (my chiro buddy) worked me over the other day and scolded me for not "taking care of myself"...come on "Doc", I crashed.  Not like I dumped my bike on purpose!  Ha!

That's all for now.  Until next time, saddle up, dig deep, and ride hard!  Life's too short for anything else!

TNT OUT-

3 comments:

  1. Pea pods?! LOL :) Dad should send some down your way-he's had a ton! (I think you may have been delirious.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan from Ozark BBQ :)July 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM

    You are doing something truly amazing, Trent! Ozark BBQ, the sisterhood of Alpha Delta Pi from Arkansas, and my family will be cheering you on every step of the way! Thank you for all that you're doing and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan at Ozark Bar-b-cue took great care of us last night! Check them at at http://www.ozarkbar-b-que.com/ or stop by when you're at Lake of the Ozarks!

    ReplyDelete